How To Write A Good Thesis Statement For Research Paper?
A good thesis statement will set the tone for a research paper. Without a thesis statement, you do not have a research paper. In the scheme of writing, the thesis statement is not very difficult. There are rules that should be followed and once you know the rules, you will be able to write a thesis statement that makes it easy to craft the entire research paper.
When it comes to writing a thesis statement, these are the general rules:
- Make sure you write a thesis statement. Too many students do not write a statement (singular), they write statements (plural). If there are too many statements, then the reader does not know what you are going to prove.
- Place the thesis statement in the right place. A properly placed thesis statement will make a research paper even better. The thesis needs to come in the introduction of the research paper, but it should not come before the writer has drawn the reader in with a creative introduction. Therefore, the thesis statement should not come too soon in the paper for fear that the reader will not be interested and want to read more of the research paper.
- Write a thesis statement that can be proved. Your thesis statement needs to be argumentative, so you can write enough to prove the statement. If you write something that is a silly opinion, like “Food tastes good,” then you cannot prove it. Your thesis statement should be thoughtful and insightful so that you can write a paper that is absolutely mind blowing.
- Revisit the thesis at important parts of the paper. Since the thesis is the most important part of the research paper, it is a good idea to place that thesis in a few different places throughout the paper. The thesis statement should be at least in the introduction and the conclusion. Parts of the thesis statement should appear in the topic sentences in paragraphs. When keywords appear in topic sentences, they help the reader know what you are trying to prove.
- It is important to spend time on writing your thesis statement. The thesis needs to be crafted at the beginning stages of the research paper writing process. However, when you finish the research paper, it is important to revisit the thesis. It acceptable to revise the thesis to meet what you have proved. It is much easier to revise the thesis than to change the entire paper.